FrancesHuang's Blog

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The dilemma!

I've been thinking about this for a few days. From Aiden's suggestion, it might be better for me to focus on only one of the books that I've chosen. It's really hard for me to decide which book I should do the research with, since the stories are quite different and I think both of them are interesting!

In The Joy Luck Club, two women smartly used the power of superstition, people's fear toward spirits and bad luck, to escape from the unfavorable living conditions and won the great freedom for themselves.

On the other hand, in The Bonesetter's Daughter, Luling, the daughter of the tragic figure, believed that she has been cursed since the day her mother killed herself by jumping off to the cliff. Luling blamed herself for the death of her mother for the rest of her life. The quilt and fear had driven her mad and she lived a miserable life. She always worried about the curse would lead her to a terrible life, but she herself was actually the one who didi it!

I think I can work well with these two books at the same time, because one tells how superstition influences other poeple, the other shows how superstition affect one's own mind.

What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home